I am a Ph.D. student in the Computer Engineering Department at Middle East Technical University under supervision of Dr. Emre Akbas.
My primary research interest is artificial intelligence focusing on deep learning for computer vision.
Before coming to METU, I received my master degree from Bilkent University, Computer Engineering Department in 2014.
Within the area of computer vision, my specific interests are object recognition, image captioning
and human action/activity understanding.
- DRAW: Deep Networks for Recognizing Styles of Artists Who Illustrate Children’s Books
Samet Hicsonmez, Nermin Samet, Fadime Sener, Pinar Duygulu
ACM ICMR 2017.
- Could We Create A Training Set For Image Captioning Using Automatic Translation?
[bib] [paper] [codes]
Nermin Samet, Samet Hicsonmez, Pinar Duygulu, Emre Akbas
- Creating Image Tags for Text Based Image Retrieval Using Additional Corpora
Nermin Samet, Samet Hicsonmez, Fadime Sener
- Ground-nesting Insects could use Visual Tracking for Monitoring Nest Position during Learning Flights
Nermin Samet, Jochen Zeil, Elmar Mair, Norbert Boeddeker, Wolfgang Stuerzl
SAB 2014 (Best Paper Finalist).
- Recognizing Human Actions From Noisy Videos via Multiple Instance Learning
Fadime Sener, Nermin Samet, Pinar Duygulu, Nazli Ikizler-Cinbis
- Identification of Illustrators
Fadime Sener, Nermin Samet, Pinar Duygulu
ECCV 2012 (VISART: 1st Workshop on Computer Vision for Art Analysis).
Education / Experience
- 09/2015 - Present: Ph.D. student at Middle East Technical University Department of Computer Engineering
- 09/2011 - 08/2014: M.Sc. student at Bilkent University Department of Computer Engineering
- 09/2007 - 06/2011: B.Eng from Hacettepe University Department of Computer Engineering
- 01/2018 - Present: Research Assistant at Computer Engineering Department, METU
- 03/2015 - 01/2018: Research Engineer at Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), Institute of Defense Industries Research and Development.
- 06/2013 - 11/2013: Research intern at German Aerospace Center (DLR), Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics.
- I have been a member of Hacettepe University Computer Vision Lab and RETINA Vision and Learning Group.
- Teaching assistant for
- Algorithms and Programming, Bilkent University, 2011
- Digital Design, Bilkent University, 2013
- Science Technology and Society, Bilkent University, 2013
- Introduction to Programming for Engineers, Bilkent University, 2011 - 2014