Course Catalogue Description:
Historical development of cryptography, introduction to simple crypto systems, information theoretic security, basics of symmetric ciphers: block ciphers and stream ciphers, basics of asymmetric ciphers, cryptographic protocols and cryptanalysis.
Course Objectives: The aim of this course is to give the fundamental concepts of cryptography and introduce to students the classical secret-key and public key cryptographic systems. The course also serves as an introduction for students who are interested in pursuing research in cryptography.
Course Learning Outcomes: This is one of the core courses of the Cryptography Program at IAM, which gives the fundamentals of cryptography, the classical secret-key and public-key cryptographic systems, and also cryptanalysis. After taking the course, the students will able to know the fundamentals of cryptography.
Weekly Outline/Tentative Course Schedule:
· Historical development of Cryptography
· Simple Crypto Systems: Monographic-Polygraphic Systems, Monoalphabetic-Polyalphabetic Systems, Substitution Ciphers, Transposition Ciphers, Frequency Analysis, Kasiski Analysis
· Information Security, Entropy, Information Theory, Shannon’s Theory, Probability, Birthday paradox, Bias Theorem and Hash Function
· Block Ciphers: Diffusion, Confusion, Feistel Structure, Boolean Functions, and Nonlinearity
· Stream Ciphers: Shift Registers, Linear Complexity, RNG, One Time Pad
· The idea of Public Key Cryptography
· Cryptographic Protocols: Zero-Knowledge Protocols, Commitment Scheme, Threshold Cryptosystem, and Oblivious Transfer.
· Public Key Infrastructure
Required Textbook/s & Readings:
· W. Trappe, L. Washington, Introduction to Cryptography, Pearson, 2006.
· N. Koblitz, A Course in Number Theory and Cryptography, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag (1994).
· Douglas Stinson: Cryptography: Theory and Practice. CRC Press, Inc, 1996.
· B. Beckett, Introduction to Cryptology and PC security, McGraw-Hill Pub. New York, 1997
· J. A. Buchmann, Introduction to Cryptography, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2000.
· Nigel Smart, Cryptography: An Introduction, Mcgraw-Hill Publication, Dec. 2004.
Supplementary Readings/Resources/E-Resources (if any):
· Alfred J. Menezes, Paul C. van Oorschot and Scott A. Vanstone: Handbook of Applied Cryptography. CRC Press, 1996.
· Eli Biham, Ahi Shamir: Differential Cryptanalysis of the Data Encryption Standard, Springer Verlag, 1993.
· B. Schneier, Applied Cryptography,2 nd edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc, New York, 1996.
· H.C.A, van Tilborg, Fundamentals of Cryptography, Kluwer Academic Publisher, Boston, 2000.